Importance to SJHS
Why is This Important to SJHS?
- Our ministry has a responsibility to heal the earth. Pope Benedict XVI has brought climate change issues to the forefront of his papacy and charges all of us to help stop the degradation of the Earth. See Faithfully Healing The Earth.
- God calls upon his people to protect both the Earth and its inhabitants:
- The Earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it. Psalm 24:1
- You shall not pollute the land in which you live...you shall not defile the land in which you live, in which I also dwell. Numbers 35:33-34
- You care for the land and water it; you enrich it abundantly. The streams of God are filled with water to provide the people with grain, for so you have ordained it. Psalm 65:9
- Healing the Earth is a matter of social justice
- Health care is charged with protecting life
- It will enhance our culture of stewardship by reducing waste and costs
- Capturing and re-purposing unused medical supplies can assist in providing care for the underserved
- Unused supplies can be deployed to developing countries and assist in world-wide healthcare efforts
- It will create healthy communities
- It will give us a competitive advantage
- It will create an environmentally friendly workplace