Financial assistance, resource coordination and basic counseling.
Oncology social work is the primary professional discipline that provides psychosocial services to the patients, families and significant others facing the impact of a potential or actual diagnosis of cancer (AOSW). Our Social Work team has a combined 37 years of medical social work experience. As Masters prepared social workers, they can provide you and your family the following assistance:
1. Financial assistance to patients and families
- Education and assistance with application process for Social Security disability and SSI.
- Education and assistance with application process for Medicaid, Medicaid Spenddown and Medicaid QMB.
- Medicare Part D counseling with on-line enrollment and application assistance for Extra Help.
- Assistance with application process for prescription assistance and co-pay assistance programs.
- Resource coordination for basic needs (food, clothing, furniture, utilities) through community agencies and church organizations.)
- Assistance with obtaining transportation (cab, wheelchair van, ambulance) and method of payment (Medicaid vouchers, Road to Recovery).
- Lodging assistance.
2.Counseling services for patients and families
- Provide basic counseling for psychosocial needs related to cancer.
- Provide options for psychosocial support and facilitate selected assistance for mental health diagnosis or psychopathology beyond situational depression or anxiety: assist with initial appointment with community mental health provider, link patient with mental health network provided by their mental medical insurance, support group referral and/or explore EAP opportunities.
- Educate regarding advanced directives and facilitate living wills, health care surrogate designation, DNR/EMS forms.
- Crisis intervention.
3.Facilitation of continuity of care
- Provide education regarding home health care, private duty, durable medical equipment, hospice and other community resources (transportation, home-delivered meals) as well as reimbursement for these services.