da Vinci Gynecologic Surgery
da Vinci Gynecology Procedures:
Why is da Vinci Surgery important to women?
Traditional open gynecologic surgery, using a large incision for access to the uterus and surrounding anatomy, has for many years been the standard approach to many gynecologic procedures. Yet, open surgery can cause significant pain, physical trauma and a long recovery process. For women facing gynecologic surgery, the period of pain, discomfort and extended time away from normal daily activities that usually follows traditional surgery can also cause significant anxiety.
da Vinci enables GYN surgeons to perform more complex operations through just a few tiny incisions, thereby minimizing the need to perform traditional abdominal (open) surgery. As a result, da Vinci GYN surgeons can offer the benefits of minimally invasive surgery to a broader range of patients.
Potential patient benefits include:
- Shorter hospital stay (one day in most cases versus 3-5)
- Significantly less pain post-operatively (often only over-the-counter pain meds required)
- Quicker recovery and return to normal activities (1-2 weeks versus 6-8 weeks)
- Fewer complications & less risk of infection
- Less scarring: Small, dime-sized incisions versus 6-8 inch scar
- Hysterectomy is the most common female surgery, with roughly 650,000 performed annually in the United States . Hysterectomy is performed for a variety of conditions, including excessive bleeding, fibroids, endometriosis, uterine prolapse, cancer and pre-cancer. Currently, the majority of hysterectomies (65-70%) are still performed via open incision.
To the women receiving open surgery, da Vinci Surgery represents a significant advance in gynecological care and treatment. In fact, da Vinci Surgery may be the most effective and the least invasive option for many gynecologic conditions requiring surgery.
For more information about da Vinci gynecologic surgery utilizing the da Vinci Surgical System, call 859.313.4746 or toll free at 877.313.4746.