The Saint Joseph Story
On October 2, 1877, a small group of Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, Kentucky, led by Sister Euphrasia Stafford, arrived in Lexington to staff the city's first hospital. In just a few months, the decision was made to move from the Linden Walk/Maxwell Street location to West Second Street, where Saint Joseph Hospital remained open until moving again in 1959 to its current location on Harrodsburg Road. Today, Saint Joseph Hospital is a member of Catholic Health Initiatives.
Saint Joseph's Employees, physicians and volunteers are empowered to carry out the health care ministry started by the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. Our hospital's friends and benefactors continue to be remembered daily in prayer and service by the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth.
Saint Joseph Hospital, a 468-bed tertiary medical center, offers the highest quality patient care to the community of Central and Eastern Kentucky. Also known as Lexington's "heart hospital", Saint Joseph has pioneered many firsts in the health care community. Saint Joseph has also been nationally recognized for treatment in the areas of cardiology, orthopedics and stroke, by Thomson Reuters and U.S. News and World Report.
Berea Hospital began in 1898 as an eight-bed cottage on the Berea College campus. In 1917, construction began on the new facility at 305 Estill Street. In 1967, Berea College gave the hospital building to the Berea Community. Through the years, Berea Hospital has served the residents of Madison, Jackson, Rockcastle and Garrard counties. On April 1, 2003, Berea Hospital joined Catholic Health Initiatives, one of the largest Catholic health care systems in the United States. Within the year, Berea Hospital was recognized in the CHI system for their outstanding patient care services. In November 2005, Berea Hospital became part of Saint Joseph Health System. As Saint Joseph - Berea , the hospital continues to offer outstanding patient care, is dedicated to the healing mission of the Church, emphasizes human dignity, social justice and the creation of healthier communities.
In December 1998, Saint Joseph East , formerly Jewish Hospital Lexington, joined Saint Joseph Hospital as a member of Catholic Health Initiatives, a national network of Catholic hospitals. Saint Joseph East, a full service community hospital with 174 beds, is located in the rapidly growing southeastern part of Lexington, Fayette County. Saint Joseph East complements Saint Joseph Hospital's health care mission through multiple services and specialities. At Saint Joseph East, maternal and childcare, ambulatory surgery and 24-hour emergency care are supported through traditional inpatient and outpatient programs. Additional specialty services include the Breast Center, Kid Traxx (after-hours pediatric emergency center), Sleep Wellness Center and the Center for Weight Loss Surgery. Saint Joseph East was named one of the nation's 100 Top Hospitals by Thomson Reuters.
Saint Joseph - Jessamine RJ Corman Ambulatory Care Center opened on January 2, 2009 in Nicholasville. It is Jessamine County's first and only full service, 24/7 emergency room. It also provides diagnostic imaging, lab services, community center and physician offices.
Dr. H.V. Pennington founded Marymount Medical Center in 1926, giving London the most modern hospital in Southeastern Kentucky. It was the only facility between Lexington, Kentucky, and Knoxville, Tennessee, to be located in a building specifically to house a hospital. Marymount made history by being among the first hospitals in the country to pass an inspection by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals. For more than fifty years the Sisters of Charity owned and operated Marymount until it was realized that the changing health care environment would require greater resources to develop programs, structures and services in the next century. For these reasons, Marymount was consolidated with other Catholic health care facilities to form Catholic Health Initiatives in September 1997. January 1, 2008, Marymount Medical Center became a part of Saint Joseph Health Systems. As Saint Joseph - London the facility is an 89-bed general, acute-care hospital that provides a full range of medical, surgical and obstetric services including rehabilitation services, respiratory therapy and cardiovascular services. Its primary service area covers a population of 50,000 in Laurel, Jackson, Clay and Whitley counties.
Saint Joseph - Martin, formerly known as Our Lady of the Way Hospital, became a part of the Saint Joseph Health System in January 2008. Saint Joseph Hospital - Martin may be small in size compared to some of today's newest hospitals, but what it lacks in size, it makes up for in tradition and care. The 25-bed critical access care facility provides patients with holistic, personalized care. These services are provided through the hospital's clinical services which include pastoral care and social work to better serve the people of Eastern Kentucky.
Saint Joseph - Mount Sterling, previously Mary Chiles Hospital, became a part of Saint Joseph Health System on August 1, 2007. From its founding in 1875, the hospital has been committed to a goal of serving the people of the Mount Sterling area. The 63 bed facility has gone through a series or renovations over the years to provide the highest quality care to its patients. Saint Joseph - Mount Sterling delivers a wide range of services to the people of Menifee, Bath, and Rowan counties including surgical services, respiratory care, outpatient care and emergency care services.
On January 9, 1951, Flaget Memorial Hospital opened its doors for the first time taking care of ten patients. Today, the 52 bed facility is the only hospital in the Nelson County area. Services offered include Rehabilitation, inpatient and outpatient surgical services, Oncology and Sleep Disorder Center. On September 1, 1997 Flaget became a member of Catholic Health Initiatives as a result of the consolidation of the Sister of Charity of Nazareth Health System with CHI. In 2002, Flaget installed the county's first built-in MRI diagnostic machine and in 2003 open the county's first Sleep Disorder Center. In early 2008, Flaget Memorial Hospital became part of the Saint Joseph Hospital Health System.