On October 2, 1877, a small group of Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, Kentucky, led by Sister Euphrasia Stafford, arrived in Lexington to staff the city's first hospital. In just a few months, the decision was made to move from the Linden Walk/Maxwell Street location to West Second Street, where Saint Joseph Hospital remained open until moving again in 1959 to its current location on Harrodsburg Road. Today, Saint Joseph Hospital is a member of Catholic Health Initiatives.
Saint Joseph's Employees, physicians and volunteers are empowered to carry out the health care ministry started by the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. Our hospital's friends and benefactors continue to be remembered daily in prayer and service by the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth.
Saint Joseph Hospital, a 433-bed tertiary medical center, offers the highest quality patient care to the community of Central and Eastern Kentucky. Also known as Lexington's "heart hospital", Saint Joseph has pioneered many firsts in the health care community. Saint Joseph has also been nationally recognized for treatment in the areas of cardiology, orthopedics and stroke, by Thomson Reuters and U.S. News and World Report.