Cardiovascular Disease Management Programs
The Saint Joseph London Heart Failure and Acute Myocardial Infarction Disease Management Programs provide comprehensive care to those suffering from heart failure or who have had a recent heart attack. We provide comprehensive care from the hospital, to the clinic, to the community, and then home.
Our goal is to help patients:
- Improve and maintain an optimal quality of life
- Minimize the need for hospitalization and emergency department care
Saint Joseph London coordinates treatments and communication for patients to help minimize the effects of their disease. Our highly specialized team consists of a cardiologist, mid-level practitioner and nurse. We work closely with the patient and referring physician to direct care and coordinate an individualized treatment plan.
The Programs consist of three phases:
Inpatient - Saint Joseph London participates in the American Heart Association's Get With the Guidelines program. The goal of this quality improvement program is to ensure every heart failure patient and heart attack patient receives the best care possible. By following these guidelines, patient outcomes are significantly improved.
Outpatient - Studies have shown that patients are usually readmitted to the hospital within 30 days of discharge, typically within the first seven days. To avoid this, Saint Joseph London will schedule an appointment for the Heart & Vascular Center within three to five days of your discharge. During your outpatient visit, we will:
- Examine you for signs and symptoms
- Review your medications to ensure you receive the right medicine in the appropriate doses
- Address any financial barriers related to obtaining your medications
- Provide education and assist you with lifestyle changes to help you manage your condition
- Answer your questions
- Help you to improve and maintain an optimal quality of life and minimize the need for hospitalization or emergency department care
Community - Saint Joseph London holds many community education forums on heart and vascular health as well as screening clinics throughout the year.