About Lung Cancer
At Saint Joseph Radiation Oncology, we use the latest technological advancement to treat lung cancer with radiation. With PET scan fused onto a CT scan, we are able to identify and target the tumor more precisely. We also use pulmonary function test to assess patients' lung status so that we protect as much good lung from radiation without missing the tumor. With the most advanced radiation machine, treatments are delivered using 3D conformal technique, IMRT, and recently Image-Guided radiation therapy in selected cases. Using kvp CT guided radiation therapy, we are able to identify the tumor on a daily basis for precise targeting. In addition, we are also able to treat patients' lung cancer from the inside using HDR brachytherapy at Saint Joseph Hospital.
We recognize the importance of a patient's general good health. At Saint Joseph Radiation Oncology, our nutritionist will help keep our patients on a good caloric diet and to prevent weight loss. Our social worker will address each patient's general needs including transportation and housing placement during their radiation treatment. While we are treating to cure lung cancers, we believe also in taking care of a patient as a whole person.
- Lung cancer is treated in a multimodality approach with surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. Lung cancer is divided into two types. 20% of patients will have small cell lung cancer and the other 80% will have non-small cell lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often treated with chemotherapy and radiation therapy. With non-small cell lung cancer, surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy are often used.
Smoking causes about 90% of lung cancers in the U.S., but early detection can increase your chances of survival by nearly 50%. Kentucky ranks #1 in lung cancer deaths. If you're a heavy smoker or an ex-smoker, you can detect lung cancer early - at its most treatable stage - with a simple, low-dose CT scan. Our $185 lung cancer screening is safe, effective and, most important, it could save your life.