In September 1947, three courageous Sisters of Divine Providence of Melbourne, Kentucky - Sister Mary Edgar Timon, Sister Mary Helen Fredricks and Sister Mary Angelo Angelina, assumed ownership from Dr. Orris Gearheart a 30-bed hospital named Martin General Hospital. The hospital's name was changed to Our Lady of the Way Hospital.
In 1982 sponsorship transferred to the Sisters of Charity Health Care System and in 1994 management affiliation went to the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. Our Lady of the Way Hospital was one of the original hospitals included in the founding of CHI in 1996. In January 2008 Our Lady of the Way Hospital became part of Saint Joseph Health System and is now named Saint Joseph Martin.