Bone Densitometry Insurance and Scheduling
Scheduling Bone Densitometry
- Medicare and insurance guidelines listed below.
- Call 859.275.2100 to schedule your patient
- Our order forms are available or you may use your own orders which include a provider signature.
- Please specify:
- Hip and lumbar
- Vertebral fracture assessment
- Wrist – (used in patients with hyperparathyroidism)
Bone Densitometry Medicare/Insurance Guidelines
- Post menopausal (estrogen deficient) individuals who are at risk for osteoporosis – current estrogen replacement is not a contraindication.
- Vertebral fractures, osteopenia or osteoporosis on vertebral x-ray
- Primary hyperparathyroidism
- Long term steroid therapy (7.5 mg or higher prednisone > 3 months)
- History of prostate cancer with hormone therapy
- Monitoring response to osteoporosis drug therapy
- Baseline study after screen by other technique (ultrasound)
Coverage for follow-up bone densitometry is every TWO YEARS unless medically necessary to measure more frequently.
DEXA at any other site within the past two years will probably be denied as medically unnecessary.